Victims of narcissistic abuse are constantly walking on eggshells but cannot quite put their finger on why.
The constant emotional and psychological abuse brainwash the victim, triggering a debilitating cycle of negative self talk and learned helplessness that can outlive the relationship with the narcissist.
The narcissist’s goal is to keep you off balance. Whenever you are in public, with friends or family members, the mask is firmly in place. Their charm camouflages their true nature and everyone is convinced that he or she adores you. But the reality is very different.
Narcissists do not love. Their mission is to bend you to their will and keep you captive, acting as a constant source of narcissistic supply. Whenever you attempt to thwart them their reaction is vicious and their narcissistic rage terrifying. They will stop at nothing to bring you in line.
It is important for victims of narcissistic abuse to trust themselves and their instincts. It might not be possible to explain exactly why and how it is that narcissists mess with our mind, but it is happening nonetheless. If you find yourself questioning your sanity, you need to stop and think.
You are worth more than that. You deserve more than that. Don’t let the narcissist win.
If you find yourself trapped in a relationship with a narcissist, know that it is not your fault. Narcissists are master manipulators and they will do whatever it takes to keep you under their thumb
The most important thing you can do is to trust yourself and your instincts. If something feels off, it probably is. Don’t let the narcissist gaslight you into doubting your own sanity. You are not crazy. The narcissist is.
If you are in an abusive relationship, please reach out for help. There are many hotlines and resources available to assist you. Reach out to your friends, family or a therapist and ask for their help. You deserve to be safe and you deserve to be happy.
For Further Reading:
The following are the most potent abusive tactics in the narcissist’s toolbox –
- Abuse by Proxy – How to Identify and Deal with this form of Psychological Abuse
- How to Detect and Escape Ambient Abuse: A Survivor’s Guide
- Divide and Conquer – a strategic way of isolating victims
- The Fauxpology – a devious weapon of the Narcissist
- Future Faking – Narcissists make hollow promises about the future
- Narcissistic Grooming – How Narcissists Brainwash and Condition their Victims
- Love Bombing – The Narcissist’s Trick to Keep You Hooked
- What is Narcissist Discard and what are the signs?
- Narcissist Hoovering – How to Deal With It
- Narcissist Triangulation – What it is, why Narcissists do it, and how to deal with it
- What you need to know about Narcissistic Rage
- Narcissistic Smear Campaign – how to spot it and what to do about it
- Narcissistic Word Salad – one of the tools in the narcissist’s toolbox
- 7 Types of Narcissistic Abuse with Practical Examples
- Narcissistic Abuse – How Narcissists Manipulate and Hurt their Victims
- 13 Warning Signs of Narcissistic Abuse: How to Deal with It and Get Help
- Narcissistic Abuse Examples – How to Recognize the Toxic Signs of Narcissism
- The Narcissistic Abuse Cycle: How to Recognize It and Break Free
- Narcissist Manipulation Tactics: How to Safeguard Yourself from Emotional Abuse
- Jokes or Abuse? When Jokes Cross the Line
- Narcissistic Abuse – The Signs and Why it’s so Damaging
- What Is Narcissist Abuse Syndrome and How Do You Recover from It?
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.