Every day we wake up to news of some new atrocity or tragedy somewhere in the world, causing us some new anxiety. There’s an endless stream of negativity, and it can feel like there’s nothing we can do to make things better.
It’s important to remember that the world is not actually falling apart. Unfortunately there have always been such tragedies, but previous generations were not aware of what was happening.
In this day and age, however, we are more connected than ever before, and the 24-hour news cycle can make it seem like the world is a far more dangerous place than it actually is.
How to control the anxiety you feel because of the news
When you’re feeling anxious or scared about the current state of the world, it’s important to find ways to cope. Here are a few tips:
1. Limit your exposure to news and social media. It’s easy to get caught up in the constant cycle of bad news, but it’s important to take a break from it every now and then. Set aside some time each day to catch up on the news, but make sure to limit yourself to a reasonable amount of time.
2. Find a healthy outlet for your anxiety. Exercise, journaling, and spending time with loved ones are all great ways to help deal with anxiety. Find what works best for you and make sure to stick with it.
3. Don’t forget the good in the world. It’s easy to focus on all of the negative things happening, but there are still plenty of good people and good things happening too. Make an effort to focus on the positive as well as the negative.
4. Help out however you can. There are many ways to get involved and help make the world a better place, even if it’s just in your own community. Find a cause you’re passionate about and see what you can do to help.
Bad news cycles can be tough to handle, but by taking care of yourself and finding ways to cope, you can get through it.
For Further Reading:
The following are some posts you might find useful if you struggle with anxiety.
- Relationship Anxiety: What It Is, What Causes It, and How to Overcome It
- How to Overcome Anxiety with Simple Grounding Techniques
- Driving Anxiety: How you can overcome the phobia of driving
- Pet Separation Anxiety: The Human-Animal Bond in Two Studies
- How to Help Your Child Overcome Social Anxiety: What You Need to Know
- 20 Affirmations to Calm Anxiety and Improve Your Life
- Anxiety vs. Depression: How to Tell the Difference and Get Help
- Anxiety and Heart Disease in Men: What you need to know
- Spinner Rings – a natural way to reduce stress and anxiety
- Music To Heal Anxiety – The Best Songs to Listen to When You Are Anxious
- Managing Anxiety and How to Stop It from Ruining Your Life
- How to Manage Anxiety and Stress with a Mindfulness Practice
- What to Say to a Friend with Anxiety Instead of ‘Don’t Stress’
- Inspirational Quotes about Overcoming Anxiety
- Everything You Need to Know About Self-Soothing
- The Danger of Being a Perfectionist: Why You Need to Let Go
- Getting Out of a Rut: Tips for Breaking out of Your Comfort Zone
- Interoception: the hidden sense that shapes wellbeing
- How to Control Anxiety in the Face of War: Tips for Coping
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD): Everything You Need to Know
- Gardening – A Fun and Healthy Way to Lower Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- How to break the rumination cycle
- 11 Steps to Coping with Climate Anxiety: What You Need to Know
- Acupuncture for Anxiety – How does it work and why does it help?
- How to break the rumination cycle
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.