What is No Contact?
No Contact is a term that you may have heard being thrown around on social media. It is a strategy for getting away from someone who has been abusive or toxic to you. The goal of No Contact is to protect yourself from the narcissist and their abuse.
The term “No Contact” was first coined by psychotherapist Dr. George Simon in his book “In Sheep’s Clothing.” He defines it as “the decision to refuse all contact with another individual, either in person or through any other form of communication.” This includes not answering phone calls, texts, or emails.
Going No Contact with a Narcissist can be very hard
It is often very difficult to go no contact with a narcissist. They will often react by unleashing their pack of flying monkeys, hoping that the abuse by proxy will intimidate you and bring you running back to them.
Narcissists are known to be manipulative and persuasive. They can also be very charming and likable. It’s hard to resist their charm, especially when they know how to get what they want from you.
It is even harder to go no contact with a narcissist if that person is your parent. It’s often difficult to ignore someone who was such a huge influence on your life growing up, even when they’re abusive. However sometimes it is necessary, no matter how difficult you might initially find it.
Why You Should Consider Going No Contact with a Narcissist
Narcissists are amongst the most toxic types of people you will ever come into contact with. You may have met one as a friend, co-worker, family member or spouse at some point in your life. Sometimes the only solution it to go no contact and move on from the situation for good.
Narcissists are masters of manipulation, who will do anything to get what they want. They can quickly and easily find your vulnerabilities and use them against you. In such cases, going no contact could be the best way to protect yourself from a narcissist. It’s not an easy task, but it is necessary if you want to heal and move forward with your life.
The reasons for going no contact are numerous and can be summed up in a few words: protection, self-care, healing, freedom.
How Long Does it Take for the Effects of No Contact to Show?
It is hard to tell how long it will take for the effects of no contact to show. It can range from a few weeks to months. Some people find that they start feeling better after a few days, while others might not see any changes until months later. This is because everyone has different experiences with no contact.
No contact can be difficult, but it helps you gain closure and it is worth it in the end. It takes time for the effects to show, but you will feel much better if you give it time and stay strong!
For Further Reading
The following posts will give you tips on how to deal with the narcissist in your life –
- How to Deal with a Narcissist
- Abuse by Proxy – How to Identify and Deal with this form of Psychological Abuse
- How to Set Boundaries with Narcissists: Strengthen Your Defences
- The Grey Rock Method: A Strategy to Deal with Narcissists
- Go Suck a Lemon – How to improve your Emotional Intelligence
- How to go Low Contact with a Narcissist: A strategy for when No Contact is impossible
- Going No Contact with a Narcissist
- Resilience – the ability to bounce back after adversity
- Narcissist Hoovering: How to Deal With It
- Narcissistic Smear Campaign – how to spot it and what to do about it
- Flying Monkeys in the World of Narcissism: What They Are and How to Deal With Them
- 13 Warning Signs of Narcissistic Abuse: How to Deal with It and Get Help
- How to Get Revenge on the Narcissist and Move On
- 22 Powerful Narcissistic Abuse Quotes to Help You Heal
- The Aftermath of Loving a Narcissist: How to Heal and Move On
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.