Have you ever been in a conversation with a narcissist which makes absolutely no sense? The narcissist starts talking, and before you know it, you have no idea what on earth they are going on about. Their reasoning goes round and round in circles without ever getting anywhere. The words just keep coming, but they don’t actually mean anything! This is what we call a narcissistic word salad. It can be confusing, frustrating, and downright infuriating, and it’s a speciality regularly served up by any self-respecting narcissist.
Origin of the phrase “word salad”
The term word salad initially did not have anything to do with narcissistic personality disorder. It was used in psychiatry to refer to a form of disorganized talking that is characteristic of schizophrenia called schizophasia. However, nowadays the narcissistic survivor community have adopted it to refer to the convoluted logic, lies, and dissembling used by narcissists when talking to their victims or anyone who challenges them. The narcissist’s goal is to go round and round in circles, saying lots of words that do not actually mean anything, with the sole aim of confusing the person they are talking to.
So what does a typical narcissistic word salad sound like? Well, it can be pretty confusing and hard to follow. Narcissists often use long sentences full of big words that they believe make them sound intelligent. They love to twist reality around so that they always come out looking good and their victims look bad. And they never, ever take responsibility for their own actions.
If you’ve ever been in a conversation with a narcissist, you know how frustrating it can be. It’s like trying to follow a road map that has been ripped into pieces and scattered all over the floor. But don’t worry – you’re not alone. There are plenty of other people out there who have experienced the same thing. And together, we can help each other make sense of it all.
So if you’re currently dealing with a narcissistic word salad, just remember that you are not losing your mind. You are simply doing what any healthy person would do when confronted with something that doesn’t make sense: questioning it.
For Further Reading:
The following are the most potent abusive tactics in the narcissist’s toolbox –
- Abuse by Proxy – How to Identify and Deal with this form of Psychological Abuse
- How to Detect and Escape Ambient Abuse: A Survivor’s Guide
- Divide and Conquer – a strategic way of isolating victims
- The Fauxpology – a devious weapon of the Narcissist
- Future Faking – Narcissists make hollow promises about the future
- Narcissistic Grooming – How Narcissists Brainwash and Condition their Victims
- Love Bombing – The Narcissist’s Trick to Keep You Hooked
- What is Narcissist Discard and what are the signs?
- Narcissist Hoovering – How to Deal With It
- Narcissist Triangulation – What it is, why Narcissists do it, and how to deal with it
- What you need to know about Narcissistic Rage
- Narcissistic Smear Campaign – how to spot it and what to do about it
- Narcissistic Word Salad – one of the tools in the narcissist’s toolbox
- 7 Types of Narcissistic Abuse with Practical Examples
- Narcissistic Abuse – How Narcissists Manipulate and Hurt their Victims
- 13 Warning Signs of Narcissistic Abuse: How to Deal with It and Get Help
- Narcissistic Abuse Examples – How to Recognize the Toxic Signs of Narcissism
- The Narcissistic Abuse Cycle: How to Recognize It and Break Free
- Narcissist Manipulation Tactics: How to Safeguard Yourself from Emotional Abuse
- Jokes or Abuse? When Jokes Cross the Line
- Narcissistic Abuse – The Signs and Why it’s so Damaging
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.