Do you know someone who is a narcissist? Chances are, you do. Narcissism is on the rise, and more people are falling victim to the charms of a narcissist every day. If you find yourself in a relationship with a narcissist, or if you have to deal with one at work, it can be difficult to know how to handle them. In this blog post, I will discuss 10 ways to manipulate a narcissist and get what you want from them!
If you can master the art of manipulation, you will be able to beat the narcissist at their own game.
Narcissists are experts at manipulation, but they are not the only ones who can do it. You can use their own tactics against them to get what you want.
Top Ten Ways to Manipulate a Narcissist
Number one: Flatter them.
Flattery is one of the most important of the top 10 ways to manipulate a narcissist, because narcissists love nothing more than hearing how great they are.
If you can find a way to stroke their ego, they will be putty in your hands.
For example, you might say something like, “I can’t believe how successful you are! You’re amazing!”
Number two: Play up to their need for attention.
Narcissists are always looking for ways to get more attention. If you can give them what they want, they will be more likely to do what you want.
One way of doing this is to agree with everything they say. This will make them feel like they are the most important person in the room and that you value their opinion.
Number three: Appeal to their sense of superiority.
Narcissists think they are better than everyone else. If you can make them feel superior, they will be more likely to do what you want.
To play this game you will need to be very convincing. You might say something like, “I can see that you are so much smarter than I am. I would really appreciate your help with this problem.”
Number four: Make them feel indispensable.
Narcissists need to feel essential. If you can make them feel like you cannot live without them, they will be more likely to do what you want.
Try saying – “I don’t know what I would do without you. You are the only one who understands me.”
Number five: Play on their fears.
Narcissists are often driven by fear. If you can find out what their fears are and play on them, you will be able to manipulate them easily.
For instance you could use triangulation by telling them you know someone who is interested in the same thing as them to make them feel jealous and insecure or you could say something like, “Don’t worry if you do not have the time to help me out. Mr X offered to do it for me and I am sure they will do a good job.”
Number six: Use their own words against them.
Narcissists are often very articulate. If you can find a way to use their own words against them, they will be thrown off balance.
You might say something like – “I appreciate your input. I can see that you are very knowledgeable about this subject so clearly this job should fall under your remit.”
Number seven: Give them what they want… but not all at once.
Narcissists often want things that are just out of reach. If you can give them what they want, but not all at once, they will be more likely to do what you want.]
For instance, if they want your attention, you might give it to them for a short period of time and then withdraw it. This will leave them wanting more and they will be more likely to do what you want.
Number eight: Threaten to withdraw your support.
Narcissists often rely on the people around them for support. If you can threaten to withdraw your support, they will be more likely to do what you want.
Try saying something like – “I’m not sure I can continue to support you if you and I are not aligned on this matter.”
Number nine: Play hard to get.
Narcissists often want what they cannot have. If you can play hard to get, they will be more likely to do what you want.
For example, you might say, “I’m not sure I’m ready to commit to this project. I need some more time to think about it.”
Number ten: Be patient.
Narcissists are often very impatient. If you can be patient and wait for them to make the first move, they will be more likely to do what you want.
One way of doing this is by saying – “I’m not ready to make a decision right now. I’m going to need some time to think about it.”
Final thoughts on the top 10 ways to manipulate a narcissist
By following these 10 ways to manipulate a narcissist, you will be able to get them to do what you want.
Remember, the key is to be convincing and to make them feel like they are the most important person in the room. If you can do that, you will be able to beat them at their own game.
For Further Reading
The following posts will give you tips on how to deal with the narcissist in your life –
- How to Deal with a Narcissist
- Abuse by Proxy – How to Identify and Deal with this form of Psychological Abuse
- How to Set Boundaries with Narcissists: Strengthen Your Defences
- The Grey Rock Method: A Strategy to Deal with Narcissists
- Go Suck a Lemon – How to improve your Emotional Intelligence
- How to go Low Contact with a Narcissist: A strategy for when No Contact is impossible
- Going No Contact with a Narcissist
- Resilience – the ability to bounce back after adversity
- Narcissist Hoovering: How to Deal With It
- Narcissistic Smear Campaign – how to spot it and what to do about it
- Flying Monkeys in the World of Narcissism: What They Are and How to Deal With Them
- 13 Warning Signs of Narcissistic Abuse: How to Deal with It and Get Help
- How to Get Revenge on the Narcissist and Move On
- 22 Powerful Narcissistic Abuse Quotes to Help You Heal
- What is Projection? How to Respond If Someone Is Projecting
- How to Disarm a Narcissist – Tips for Standing Up to Narcissistic Abuse
- How to Deal with Your Narcissistic Neighbour: Strategies for Staying Calm and Reasonable
- 10 Ways to Manipulate a Narcissist: How to Beat Them at Their Own Game
- How to Respond to a Narcissist Text: The Definitive Guide
- Co-Parenting with a Narcissist: Challenges, Strategies and How to Support Your Children
- How to Communicate Effectively with a Narcissist: Tips for Talking to Difficult People
- The Narcissistic Abuse Cycle: How to Recognize It and Break Free
- What is Projection? How to Respond If Someone Is Projecting
- Narcissist Manipulation Tactics: How to Safeguard Yourself from Emotional Abuse
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.