Narcissism is a hot topic in the news and in psychology circles these days. But what exactly is narcissism? Is it the same as being selfish? What about narcissistic personality disorder? And how do you know if you or someone you know has narcissistic personality traits? In this blog post, we will explore the definition of narcissism, outline the differences between people with narcissistic personality disorder and those with narcissistic personality traits, and provide an outlook on narcissism in today’s society.
What is narcissism?
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Narcissism is a personality disorder that is characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, and a need for admiration. To diagnose mental illnesses such as Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), psychiatrists and mental health experts frequently turn to the new version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which was produced by the American Psychiatric Association.
People with NPD often exhibit excessive pride in their appearance, achievements, and abilities and may have a sense of entitlement. They take advantage of others to get what they want and can be very manipulative. In addition they typically require excessive amounts of admiration and attention from others and often feel entitled to special treatment. In fact they can be very hostile and aggressive when they don’t get the attention they believe they deserve or when they feel criticized.
Narcissistic Personality Traits
On the other hand, people with narcissistic personality traits (as opposed to the full blown disorder) are not diagnosed with a mental illness but rather fall on the spectrum of narcissism.
People with narcissistic personality traits often have many of the same characteristics as those with narcissistic personality disorder, but to a lesser degree. For example, people with narcissistic personality traits may be less likely to exhibit aggressive or hostile behaviours and are more likely to feel bad about themselves when they don’t receive the attention they desire.
Outlook on narcissism in society
Narcissism is becoming increasingly common in our society. A large part of this can be attributed to the increasing focus on self-promotion and image over substance. With social media providing a platform for people to share their lives online, it has become easier than ever for people to build up an inflated sense of self-importance. And with celebrities and other public figures often being praised for their accomplishments, it can be easy to see why some people might develop narcissistic personality traits.
While narcissism is not a new phenomenon, the increasing prevalence of narcissism in our society is cause for concern. Narcissists often lack empathy and can be very manipulative and hostile. They can also be very destructive to relationships. As a result, narcissists can be quite harmful both to themselves and to those around them. It is important to be aware of the signs of narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic personality traits so that you can protect yourself from these individuals and seek help if necessary.
For Further Reading
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)
- How to Deal with a Narcissist
- Narcissistic Abuse – How Narcissists Manipulate and Hurt their Victims
- How to Define a Narcissist: The 5 Traits You Need to Look Out For
- How Narcissistic Leaders Create Toxic Workplaces
- The Narcissist and the Enabler – a match made in hell
- Dark Triad Personalities in Romantic Relationships: Are You in Love with a Narcissist?
- The Difference Between Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Traits
- Narcissistic Supply – Feeding the Narcissistic Ego
- Narcissistic Injury – The Agony of the Fragile Narcissistic Ego
- 7 Types of Narcissistic Abuse with Practical Examples
- The 10 Stages of Healing After Narcissistic Abuse
- 8 Ways Narcissists Get Worse with Age
- Can a Narcissist feel Empathy? The Answer May Surprise You
- Can a Narcissist Love Their Partner? How Narcissism Impacts Relationships
- Warning Signs You’re Dating a Narcissist: How to Tell if He’s a Monster Behind Closed Doors
- The Devious Traits of the Female Narcissist – What to Look Out For
- Narcissist Meme Gallery
- How to Tell If You’re a Narcissist
- Does a narcissist ever truly regret hurting people?
- Can Narcissists Change? The Truth About Personality Disorders and How to Treat Them
- Can a Narcissist Ever Be Happy? Appearances May Be Deceptive
- Red Flag Alert – are you dating a narcissist? What to look out for before falling in love
- Can a Narcissist Be Nice? The Myth of the Generous Narcissist
- Can Two Narcissists Love Each Other and Have a Healthy Relationship?
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.