Daughters of narcissistic mothers (DoNM) know the struggle all too well. They grew up in families where their mother was always putting herself first and disregarding their feelings. Their mother would have constantly told them that they were never good enough and she would have taken every opportunity to belittle and humiliate them.
The outcomes of growing up in a narcissistic family depend on whether you were the golden child or the scapegoat. If you were the golden child, chances are that your mother loved and praised you to the point of being overbearing. If you were the scapegoat, then it’s likely that your mother constantly criticized and demeaned you.
No matter which role you played, the damage done to daughters by narcissistic mothers is significant. A DoNM may struggle with low self-esteem, problems forming healthy relationships, and difficulty trusting others.
Can DoNM overcome their childhood trauma?
Thankfully, there are several online communities that support survivors of narcissistic families. These groups provide a safe place for women to share their stories and receive support from others who understand what they’re going through. If you’re looking for help and hope, these communities can be a valuable resource.
If you are a daughter of a narcissistic mother, know that you are not alone. There is hope and support available to you, and there are people who understand what you’re going through.
There are many DoNM survivors out there who have lived through similar experiences of narcissistic abuse as a child, and they can understand exactly where you are coming from.
Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. You deserve it.
For Further Reading
You might also want to check out the following posts about narcissistic families and the impact of childhood trauma:
- SoNM (Sons of Narcissistic Mothers)
- SoNF (Sons of Narcissistic Fathers)
- DoNF (Daughters of Narcissistic Fathers)
- DoNM (Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers)
- ACoNs (Adult Children of Narcissists)
- Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers – What You Need to Know
- Daughters of Narcissistic Fathers (DoNF) – The Struggle of Growing Up in a Narcissistic Family
- The Narcissistic Family Golden Child
- The Narcissistic Family Scapegoat
- The Narcissistic Parent and the Enabler
- Narcissistic Family Roles: The Complicated Dynamics of Narcissistic Families
- Breaking the Intergenerational Cycle of Family Abuse
- Emotional Abuse as a Child Linked to Adult Chronic Pain
- CAPDR – Child affected by parental relationship distress
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and PTSD: What’s the Connection?
- The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences on Puberty
- Learning how to Trust and Love after Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Parentification: The Role of the Parentified Child in Narcissistic Families
- What is Codependency and how to overcome it
- Resilience – the ability to bounce back after adversity
- Is the Golden Child destined to become a Narcissist?
- Secrets and Shame: The Corrosive Impact of Family Secrets
- How to Deal with a Narcissistic Sibling: Tips for Navigating Family Drama
- Going through the stages of grief for my lost childhood
- 10 Symptoms of Daughters of Narcissistic Fathers
- 10 Symptoms of Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
- The Narcissist Mother – How to Identify and Deal with this Personality Type
- How to Deal with a Narcissistic Mother-in-Law: Protect Your Relationship
- How does a narcissistic mother behave?
- What Happens to Children of Narcissistic Fathers?
- How to Recognize and Respond to Emotional Abuse from Parents
- The Negative Impact of Growing Up with a Narcissistic Parent
- Do daughters of narcissistic mothers become narcissists?
- The 6 Survival Strategies used by Narcissistic Family Scapegoats
- Parental Alienation: The Destructive Impact on Parents and Children
And finally, this is my story. I was the scapegoat daughter of a narcissistic father.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you use one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me. At no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission, which helps me run this blog and keep my in-depth content free of charge for all my readers.